HOME PAGE CONTACT DETAILS OBJECTIVES DISCLAIMER MEETING DATES 2019 INTERNET LINKS NEWS
CROPS
RESEARCH PROJECTS
RESEARCH DATABASE
BURSARIES & AWARDS
STATISTICS & ESTIMATES
INCOME & COST BUDGETS
Working Group Minutes
SUNFLOWER AND SOYBEAN
SA GROUNDNUT FORUM
GROUNDNUT GUIDELINES
ARCHIVES
SUNFLOWER AND SOYBEAN
2014
2013
2012
2011
2010
2009
2008
2007
2006
SA GROUNDNUT FORUM
2013
2012
2011
2010
2009
2008
2006
GROUNDNUT GUIDELINES
GAP FOOD SAFETY
NEWSLETTERS
OILSEEDS FOCUS MAGAZINE
REPORTS
GALLERY
VIDEO GALLERY
ARCHIVES
SEARCH
Cover of Oilseeds Focus Vol 5 No 2 March 2019
WORKGROUP MINUTES ARCHIVES SA GROUNDNUT FORUM 2006 November 2006
PLEASE CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW TO VIEW INDIVIDUAL FILES
 NOVEMBER 2006 JULY 2006 APRIL 2006
MINUTES OF A GENERAL MEETING OF THE
SA GROUNDNUT FORUM
HELD ON 8 NOVEMBER 2006 STARTING AT 09:30 AT THE OFFICES OF THE OILSEEDS INDUSTRY IN RIVONIA

1.

OPENING

 

The meeting was opened with a prayer by the Chairman, Mr JCG du Preez.
 

2.

WELCOME

 

The Chairman heartily welcomed everyone.
 

3.

ATTENDANCE

 

Present

Mr JCG du Preez

Chairman

 

Dr J Dreyer

ARC-GCI

 

Mr G Keun

Chief Executive Officer

 

Ms AG Enslin

SAGIS

 

Mrs L Moolman

NAMC

 

Mr W Loubser

SANSOR

 

Mr N Hawkins

Grain SA

 

Mrs R Beukes

Department of Agriculture

 

Mr GJH Scholtemeijer

Oilseeds Advisory Committee

 

Mr N Fouché

Secretariat

 

Mr JAM Potgieter

Grain SA

 

Mr A Cronjé

Tiger Brands

 

Dr J Swanevelder

SANNIC

 

Mr J Cohn

OLAM

 

Mr BJ Vorster

NWK Beperk

 

Mr RW Higgs

Triotrade

 

Mr A Patel

Olam SA

 

Mr P Sanford

FR Waring

 

Mr C Mathews

Department of Agriculture & Land Admin.: Mpumalanga

 

Mr PJ van Heerden

PPECB (Bothaville)

 

Mr S Coetzee

PPECB
 

Apologies

Mr CJ Wegner

PPECB

 

Mr G de Witt

SA Peanut Company

 

Mr CJ Lourens

RE Groundnuts

 

Mr H Jansen

Alma Boerevereniging

 

Ms A van Deventer

SA Peanut Company

 

Mr K van den Berg

NWK Beperk

 

Mr A Bosman

PPECB

 

Mr PG Louw

Grain Silo Industry

 

Mr H Koen

Triotrade
 

4.

PERSONALIA

 

None.
 

5.

FINALISING THE AGENDA

 

No items were added to the agenda.
 

6.

APPROVAL OF MINUTES

6.1

APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES OF THE SA GROUNDNUT FORUM MEETING HELD ON 20 JULY 2006

 

Resolved:

6.1.1

That the minutes of the meeting of the SA Groundnut Forum which was held on 20 July 2006 be approved.

7.

MATTERS ARISING

7.1

GOOD FARMING AND PROCESSING PRACTICES

 

It was resolved at the previous meeting, that the Marketing Working Group will draft a promotional document, containg core information about GAP and GMP. The meeting noted that the Marketing Working Group of the Forum was not established yet and that the matter therefore stands adjourned.
 

 

Resolved:

7.1.1

That the matters as noted under resolutions 7.1.1 to 7.1.4 of the previous minutes, stands adjourned.

 

Mr Keun

7.2

GOVERNMENT NOTICE R1145: DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH

 

The meeting took note of two letters received from the Department of Health in respect of imported groundnuts, as included in the agenda papers (dated 11 July 2006 and 12 September 2006). The letter of Grain SA was also noted, in which it is proposed that peanut butter manufacturers who supply aflatoxin-containing products higher than the acceptable levels, should be identified so that appropriate action can be taken.
 

7.3

SUSTAINABILITY OF THE GROUNDNUT INDUSTRY

 

The Chairman said that the NAMC invited agricultural industries to form working groups with the NAMC, in order to investigate the industries’ competitiveness. Mr Keun is in the process of arranging a meeting with the NAMC and the Oilseeds Advisory Committee will discuss the issue at its next meeting.

The meeting discussed some aspects of the Management Committee’s proposals that were included for cognisance in the agenda papers. The meeting was in agreement that regular meetings of the proposed four working groups would be too time-consuming in terms of attendance and administration. It was further agreed that the proposed working groups must be established; that the Management Committee should refer issues to the relevant working groups; that members of the Management Committee must act as conveners of the working group meetings or arrange for conveners; that the working groups may function by telephone, electronic media or meetings; that the conveners must invite industry members whoever they think fit for the meetings; and that all the Forum members must be informed of and invited to attend the working group meetings.

A meeting was held on 8 September 2006, to discuss the sustainability of groundnut production and the minutes of this meeting was enclosed in the agenda papers. On request of the Forum, dr Dreyer addressed the short-term aspects such as production practices in the form of a document, with the view of more efficient production practices and increased yields. Dr Dreyer briefly explained the project and the Chairman said that the information must be conveyed to the producers on a proactive basis. The meeting agreed that the Management Committee should take decisions about the most appropriate ways to convey information to producers, including the document of Dr Dreyer, with the view to promote sustainable groundnut production.

The meeting discussed the way that research projects should be handled in future. Until now, the Research Project Evaluation Committee (RPEC) of the Forum evaluated the projects and made proposals to the Forum. The meeting agreed that the OAC be requested to refer future research projects to the Management Committee, which should deal with it according to its discretion.

Due to the ineffective functioning of the Forum’s Crop Estimation Committee until now, the members agreed that this committee should be abolished.
 

 

Resolved:

7.3.1

That the working groups as proposed by the Management Committee must be established; that the Management Committee should refer issues to the relevant working groups; that members of the Management Committee must act as conveners of the working group meetings or arrange for conveners; that the working groups may function by telephone, electronic media or meetings; that the conveners must invite industry members whoever they think fit for the meetings; and that all the Forum members must be informed of and invited to attend the working group meetings.
 

 

Management Committee

7.3.2

That the Management Committee should take decisions about the most appropriate ways to convey information to producers, including the document of Dr Dreyer, with the view to promote sustainable groundnut production.
 

 

Management Committee

7.3.3

That the OAC be requested to refer future research projects to the Management Committee, which should deal with it according to its discretion.
 

 

 

7.3.4

That the Forum's Crop Estimation Committee be abolished.

 

Mr Keun

7.4

CHEMICAL RESIDUES

 

The Chairman mentioned that groundnut producers have been informed via the SA Grain magazine and the SA Grain website, of the aspects relevant to the application of chemicals during the current planting season.
 

7.5

FOOD SAFETY FORUM

 

Minutes of the Food Safety Forum meeting which was held on 22 May 2006, was included in the agenda papers.
 

7.6

ARC-GCI: YIELD POSSIBILITIES AND GROUNDNUT VARIETIES

 

It was decided at the previous meeting, to support the ARC's intention to conduct trials with groundnut types with better overseas marketing potential and which can provide better yields. In addition, the Marketing Working Group was requested to propose the way forward relating to the breeding programme, based on marketing potential and higher yields, which must be obtained at no higher costs for the producer.

The Chairman said that a meeting had taken place previously involving the ARC-GCI, exporters and other Forum members about the issue mentioned above. He mentioned that the Oilseeds Advisory Committee (OAC) decided that the OAC, the Research Project Evaluation Committee of the Forum and OPOT must meet early in 2007 with the ARC-GCI, to evaluate the current research portfolio in order to plan for the changed and changing market requirements.
 

8.

INDUSTRY INFORMATION AND MARKETING ASPECTS

8.1

GENERAL INFORMATION AND MARKET INFORMATION

 

The SAGIS Market Information report was included in the agenda papers and Mrs Enslin elaborated on a few aspects.
 

8.1.1

Calculation of import and export parity prices for groundnuts

 

Mr Scholtemeijer suggested that SAGIS should be requested to publish import and export parity prices, as Mrs Enslin has indicated that SAGIS has new informaton from which such prices can be derived. Mrs Moolman said that the conditions of the Competition Commission should be taken into account. Mr Hawkins said the producers would like to have at least import parity prices that is officially published.

On proposal of Mr Scholtemeijer (and amendment by Mrs Enslin), the meeting decided that Mrs Enslin must convene a meeting with relevant role-players to draft a proposal for the publishing of groundnut import parity prices, which must be considered by the Forum at its next meeting. Mr Scholtemeijer said although SAGIS take the inputs and requirements of industries into account, this company may decide independently to publish useful information that add value to industry role-players.
 

 

Resolved:

8.1.1.1

That Mrs Enslin must convene a meeting with relevant role-players and draft a proposal for the publishing of groundnut import parity prices, which must be considered by the Forum at its next meeting.
 

 

Mrs Enslin

8.2

CROP AND AREA ESTIMATES

 

Mrs Beukes said the re-calculated groundnut crop as published on 28 September 2006 is 74 000 tons – consisting of actual deliveries of 64 254 tons, projected deliveries of 3 246 tons, as well as 6 500 tons for retentions on farms and the informal sector. Due to uncertainty regarding the size of the informal sector, provision was made for 6 500 tons. Comparing the re-calculated groudnut crop figure with the figure estimated by the CEC during September 2006, the Committee has also under-estimated the size of the commercial groundnut crop by 4 300 tons (5,81%). The area planted was left unchanged at 48 550 ha, with an average yield of 1,52 t/ha.

Calculated final area and crop production figures of sunflower seed, soya beans and groundnuts: 2005/06 production season (published on 28 September 2006):
 

 
CROP FINAL AREA PLANTED FINAL CROP CEC AREA PLANTED CEC FINAL ESTIMATE FINAL CROP vs FINAL ESTIMATE
2005 / 2006 2005 / 2006 2005 / 2006 2005 / 2006
HA TONS HA TONS %
(A) (B) (C) (D) (D) ÷ (B)
Sunflower seed 472 480 520 000 472 480 527 720 +1,48
Soya beans 240 570 424 000 240 570 413 995 -2,36
Groundnuts 48 550 74 000 48 550 69 700 -5,81
 

She said that plantings under irrigation comprise about 9 000 ha (18,5%). The first intention to plant groundnuts does not differ significantly from the previous season's plantings (±48 000 ha).

It was decided at the previous meeting, to request Grain SA to advise the Forum on the extent to which producers process groundnuts at farm level. Mr Hawkins proposed that he and mrs Beukes be made responsible for such a project.
 

 

Resolved:

8.2.1

That Mr Hawkins and Mrs Beukes be responsible for a project to determine the extent to which producers process groundnuts at farm level.

 

Mr Hawkins
Mrs Beukes

9.

RESEARCH

9.1

PRESENTATION BY MR MATHEWS

 

Mr Matthews presented a slide-show overview of his Department's involvement in groundnut development programmes in Mpumalanga.
 

10.

FINANCES

 

The meeting took note of the financial report measured against the budget for the period March 2006 to September 2006, as included in the agenda papers.

The 2007/2008 draft budget was also included in the agenda papers. In the light of the restructuring of the Forum, Mr Keun was requested to revise the draft budget accordingly and to submit it in time to the OAC, prior to the approval thereof by OPOT in February 2007.
 

 

Resolved:

10.1

That the draft budget (2007/2008) must be revised according to the Forum's restructuring requirements, which must be submitted in time to the OAC, prior to the approval thereof by OPOT in February 2007.

 

Mr Keun

11.

ADDITIONAL ITEMS

 

None.
 

12.

ELECTION OF OFFICE BEARERS

12.1

ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN

 

Mr JCG du Preez was nominated and the nomination was seconded.

It was also agreed that the Chairperson should represent the SA Groundnut Forum on the Oilseeds Advisory Committee (OAC).
 

 

Resolved:

12.1.1

That Mr JCG du Preez be re-elected as Chairperson of the SA Groundnut Forum for a two-year term.
 

 

Mr Keun

12.1.2

That the SA Groundnut Forum be represented on the OAC by the Chairperson.

 

Mr Keun

12.2

ELECTION OF VICE-CHAIRMAN

 

Mr C Lourens was nominated and the nomination was seconded.
 

 

Resolved:

12.2.1

That Mr C Lourens be elected as Vice-Chairperson of the SA Groundnut Forum for a one-year term.

 

Mr Keun

12.3

ELECTION OF MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE

 

The following persons were nominated on the Management Committee:
 

 

Mr JCG du Preez

–     Chairman

Mr CJ Lourens

–     Vice-Chairman / Processors

Mr P Sanford

–     Exporters

Ms M Edwards

–     Peanut butter manufacturers

Me L Moolman

–     Consumers

Mr JAM Potgieter

–     Producers

Mr PJ van Heerden

–     PPECB
 

 

Resolved:

12.3.1

That the following members be elected on the Management Committee:

Mr JCG du Preez

–     Chairman

Mr CJ Lourens

–     Vice-Chairman / Processors

Mr P Sanford

–     Exporters

Ms M Edwards

–     Peanut butter manufacturers

Me L Moolman

–     Consumers

Mr JAM Potgieter

–     Producers

Mr PJ van Heerden

–     PPECB

 

Mr Keun

13.

MEETING DATES

 

The Forum meetings for 2007 are scheduled as follows:
13 February 2007
19 April 2007
19 July 2007
7 November 2007
 

14.

CLOSING

 

The Chairman thanked all the members for their attendance and inputs. He adjourned the meeting at 15:30.

© 2019   OIL & PROTEIN SEEDS DEVELOPMENT TRUST (OPDT) / OILSEEDS ADVISORY COMMITTEE (OAC)  TIGME.COM – PLEASE REPORT ANY ERRORS TO support@tigme.com